It looks like finally St. Maarten will have a government in place before the start of the New Year 2017, after having parliamentary elections since September 26th 2016. On Friday December 16th, 2016, His Excellency the Governor of Sint Maarten, drs. E.B. Holiday, was handed the final report by formateur W. Marlin, which includes the Governing Program for 2016 to 2020.
The governing program titled Stability for Prosperity should spell out how the Government wish to move forward accomplishing its’ stated goals. The new government plans to give priority to realizing sustainable public finances, to realizing waste management solutions, to further improving the access to health care and the quality of health care, and to securing the safety and security on Sint Maarten.
The formateur William Marlin accepted the commission to form a new government that is supported by a majority in Parliament comprising of the NA-fraction, the USP-fraction, and the DP-fraction. The report claims that the new government is committed to the promotion of the wellbeing of Sint Maarten.
The governor pointed out in his release that vetting of the candidate ministers and minister of plenipotentiary, based on the pertinent regulations regulating the appointment of ministers, has not produced any data that would impede their appointment. Therefore the formateur has nominated the following persons for appointment as Ministers and Minister of Plenipotentiary:
- Mr. William V. Marlin, Prime Minister and Minister of General Affairs;
- Mr. Rafael A. Boasman, Minister of Justice, Acting Minister of Tourism, Economic Affairs, Traffic and Telecommunications and Acting Prime-Minister;
- Mr. Richard F. Gibson, Minister of Finance;
- Ms. Silveria E. Jacobs, Minister of Education, Culture, Youth and Sports;
- Mr. Christopher Th. Emmanuel, Minister of Public Housing, Spatial Planning, Environment and Infrastructure;
- Mr. Emil Lee, Minister of Public Health, Social Development and Labour; and
- Mrs. Henrietta Doran-York, Minister Plenipotentiary.
The Governor has scheduled the appointment and swearing in of the Ministers and Minister Plenipotentiary on Tuesday, December 20th, 10.00 hours, at the Governor’s Office. Following the swearing in ceremony, the Governor and the newly appointed Ministers will then have the constituting meeting at the Government Administration Building on Pond Island.